Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelReign View Post
not a buzzkill at all, just a good reality check. I'm really looking for feedback of current and previous owners of the car.

When you say that "The 5 speeds are notorious for being weak and having long term issues", do you mean the automatic or manual?
The manuals, they don't hold up well to spirited driving over time and they will NOT handle boosting. The autos are a little stronger in terms of holding power but it's an auto, can't have much fun with it...at least that's me.

I will say I was impressed that at least in the 01's the auto would hold a gear in sport mode, it would bounce off the limiter & wouldn't auto upshift like the garbage out there today. I'm sure me hitting the limiter wasn't good for the tranny and like I mentioned I blew my trans, wasn't pretty. I was drifting around a lot and it just dumped all the fluid, techs said I grenaded the torque converter somehow.

Everyone I know who has had a 5 speed has had at least one clutch in it or worse, and those who went turbo had to swap the Supra's getrag 6 in, go 5 speed auto or 4 speed Supra auto. The reason I got rid of the car was because in order to make it fast or balanced it would take a huge amount of money and custom work, something I wasn't willing to do. I went and bought a driver's car instead and never looked back.

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote