View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Honestly y'all pack way overkill for the track compared to what I go with. Part of that may be different facilities. The track I'm a member of has a clubhouse with a kitchen and snacks/drinks in a vending machine, and a shop with a lift and necessary tools for the most part. I drive on my track pads and my preferred wheels/tires to get there, so I don't need to swap when I arrive anyway.

What I consider the essentials is:

On the car:

1. Inspect your car fully on a lift to ensure that everything is in good working order, put a wrench on all your suspension bolts to make sure they're snugged tight, if they move torque them to spec.

2. Ensure you have appropriate brake pads and brake fluid for track use

3. If you are nearing a maintenance interval for anything, do the maintenance early to ensure it's in good condition for track use.
4. Torque your wheel lug nuts to spec when putting them back on (don't impact them down).

5. Take everything out of the car which isn't absolutely essential, including emptying your glove box, removing the cup holder from the center console, and taking out the junk in the trunk.
6. Wash your car.

To take with you:

1. A good helmet
2. Sunglasses and a wide brim hat
3. A high quality tire pressure gauge
4. A high quality needle pyrometer
5. A datalogger which you can mount in the car
6. A camera (or your phone) which you can mount in the car.

I put the pyrometer with my helmet in the helmet bag and everything else gets tossed into a canvas reusable shopping bag along with my registration/insurance information (in case I get pulled over on the way there or back, although it's unlikely). Stop at a gas station close to the track and fill to full with your preferred fuel and grab the caffeinated beverage of your choice. Eat something light that is easy on the stomach. Go have fun.

Don't overthink it. You don't need to take a full service mechanics shop with you to the track.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote