Old 02-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #767
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Wanted to go to the Toronto Auto Show today, the last day. My son wasn't interested, he made plans with a friend.

So, rather than look at cars by myself, and since they aren't taking deposits on Supras yet (LOL), I decided to re-install my replacement supercharger! April 1st it's back on the road after sitting ~8 months. I was concerned I'd forget something.

So far, perfect! I was expecting some type of issue but none. Cruised around my subdivision, idled a long time as well and after two hours I am confident it's good. Went to 5500 RPM many times.

Knowing the unit pretty well now, I will say if it had been trouble free the performance is great, no question whatsoever. The power feels quite similar to the 2018 STI, albeit very different torque curve. Steering gear ratio 13.1:1 happens to be the same as the STI too. It's like a baby 2 door STI.

HKS is known for turbochargers. This car would be awesome turbo'd. My choice not to was based on lack of familiarity with aftermarket systems combined with more moving parts to think about. I didn't do my own initial install, but the supercharger looked like something I could tackle if need be. When issues arose I did do all the work, again without a hoist much easier than turbo.

Do it again? HKS turbo FTW

Or a new Supra...
Glad your all up and running again! Look forward to seeing your car running around the neighbourhood. I know you (among a few others) have had quite the saga with the 7040L.