Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #1042
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpottruff View Post
I have used ultra 94 from day 1, its runs beautiful. I had the "cricket noise" because of the ethanol in it, but i got my fuel pump replaced and it hasn't made a noise since then. Ethanol gas wont hurt your engine, just gas without sufficient octane rating. The stoichiometric ratio of ethanol is 9:1 compared to gasoline which is 14.7:1, but because ethanol only makes up 10% of the gas blend your ECU will adjust for the difference.
Yea, I filled up on Shell 91 V-power yesterday only for it does not have any ethanol. The Petro Canada is closer but I didn't want to take any chances on my first fuel up. Maybe on my next tank, I will go with the Ultra 94 and see what happens.

The problem from what I've been reading seems to be fuel pump internal materials causing the chirping. So since I have a build date of May 2013, hopefully all the minor issues from last year have been addressed.

So far, I've got around 530kms on the car and it's running smoother than ever!

Do you guys get a weird noise when doing 1st gear take offs? A chatty type of clutch sound? I'm sure it's normal and is probably related to the D4-S injection system doing its thing. I also get it when I lugging off in low rpm 3rd gear (like having to slow down for those pesky speed pumps, then speeding back up all while in 3rd gear).

I haven't see any another FRS/BRZ other than mine so I have nothing to compare to.

I would love to meet up with other owners. Saw a SICK black FRS lowered on some 18" mesh type wheels today at the back of the Wal-Mart parking lot at Fairview Mall. I did a circle around it in my FRS to check it out then took off. Whoever owns that car... NICE CAR!