View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #16
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This works both ways. There are people (like I) where the GPS is the far better option since traffic on the routes can vary significantly from day to day. To say that just knowing a route there does not work as well for me. This is also why many Uber drivers use a GPS even if they may know the roads perfectly well. The presumption that everybody uses them because they don't know where they are going or can't be bothered to memorize directions is a bit pretentious. People that like to use their own "shortcuts" always feel they have figured out some trick when in reality if it is such a good shortcut then everybody would use it and it would no longer be shorter.
Tell that to the 75% of Uber drivers who followed their GPS to the tee and went to 10th St, even though my address was very clearly 11th St. . Again, I’ll caveat that the Uber drivers in DC are a whole different beast than Uber drivers I’ve experienced almost anywhere else in the country.

There is blindly using a GPS, and then using a GPS with some common sense attached - I am of the latter population.

Again my only qualms with using GPS is when people solely rely on it for getting, quite literally everywhere, because they wouldn’t know how to get there without it. That’s not pretentious, that’s irresponsible, and quite frankly unsafe. Being able to land navigate is a pretty critical skill.

And clearly no one figures out the shortcuts because everyone keeps following their GPS .
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote