View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
jacobzking

Drives: White FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY 2014 Navigation unit **FULLY working 6/19** Pandora/Weather/Traffic/ETC...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keTZOLlSc04"]2014 Scion FRS Nav head unit - YouTube[/ame]

^^^ENTUNE IS FULLY WORKING... just took a minute to set it up^^^

AS OF 6/19 THE UNIT IS INSTALLED AND FULLY FUNCTIONAL: Nav, traffic, weather, opentable (dinner reservations), movie tickets, bluetooth, iPhone 5, Android, etc, etc...

couple of final notes: the nav antenna i bought on ebay for $17 works GREAT but I had to trim down the connector a little. also, my brackets werent here yet so i just put some double sided tape on the unit and stuck the 2 together and then used some zip ties to wrap around the 2 units.

First off you'll need the following to install this setup:

NAV UNIT pt296-47121 $590
just enables Nav and nothing else that I'm aware of, PRIUS V module. this model has been tested and DOES work in FRS.
-or
NAV UNIT pt296-47130 $1244 ***the one I ordered***
enables Nav AND ENTUNE (pandora, bing, moviefone, weather, traffic, open table, stocks, etc...) this is the newer toyota 4Runner model. this model has been tested and DOES work in FRS, just unsure about Apps, etc.
-or
NAV UNIT pt296-00140 $1244?
enables Nav and BeSpoke. this is the "correct" part for our cars, but if the EnTune apps will work on our cars, I'd much rather have that over the BeSpoke crap.
so I ordered the EnTune kit which comes with the harness that connects to the head unit, the nav module and an additional "bluetooth" cable. i

You'll also need brackets if installing the NAv box:
you need the OEM "C" bracket that just attaches the nav module to your original 2013 stock FRS brackets. PT591-00140 $15
Lastly a GPS antenna:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320819856679...84.m1439.l2649 $17.99 w/ free shipping
or buy an OEM one ($??)

INSTALL: shouldnt take anyone more than 10-15 minutes to do (with or without the NAV extension box)

1. pop off the long passenger "carbon" panel by prying with your fingers from the bottom (10 seconds).
2. pop off the head unit surround "carbon" panel by prying with your fingers from the bottom corners (10 seconds).
3. remove the 4x 10mm bolts holding the head unit in place and slide radio out(1 minute)
4. unclip the 5 harness plugs; 4 plugs and the grey antenna, remove head unit (1 minute)
5. remove the 4x 8mm screws on each side to remove the brackets, they will be re-used (2 minutes)
6. install brackets on head unit (and nav box which sits directly below the head unit) use the brackets from the bestkits.com kit OR 2014 FRS brackets (not available yet) install the 8mm screws (you will only use 3 per side on reinstall of the new head unit) or use original brackets if not installing nav extension box (2 minutes)
7. reattach 4 bigger harness plugs in to the head unit (and reattach the grey antenna plug to the head unit only if youre NOT going to use Nav, then slide the head unit back in (1 minute)
7b. if you are using the nav box, the 4 big plugs go right back in to the head unit, just like the original head unit. but the grey antenna plug goes in to the extension box, NOT in to the head unit. you'll then use the included harness to join the head unit to the to nav box. nav box has one plug on back. the harness splits off to 2 plugs that are the top 2 middle plugs on the 2014 frs head unit. towards the front of the 2 units is another gray plug on each one, the cable is already attached to the nav box... that cable just plugs right in to the head unit.
8. reinstall the 4x 10mm bolts to hold head unit in place (1 minute)
9. snap the trim panels back on (20 seconds)

...I added that up to a whopping 8 minutes and 40 seconds, and thats if you're taking your time, lol. I only say this because people keep asking, "should the dealer do this for me?" lol, NO!

even without the Nav, i LOVE the head unit. if you have the non bespoke head unit, its a great upgrade. nice and snappy OS on it. nice phone application, speed dial, changeable ring tones (3), call quality is great. the music player is nice. all and all i'm really happy with it. can't wait for nav update!

Hurry and call Toyota of Plano parts if you want one of these head units before they jump up to $1198 or more. 888-255-3154 Part number PT54600140 Don't give em a year/make/model... just the part number.

I figured I'd make this 2nd post about this to include some actual pics of the head unit along with install notes, nav, etc. Thanks Moto_P for the initial info!
Attached Images

Last edited by jacobzking; 07-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jacobzking For This Useful Post:
355rockit (11-02-2013), DAEMANO (07-24-2015), Danny86 (09-30-2013), Lonewolf (06-13-2013), Mandy (06-21-2013), normancw (12-23-2013), NSV (06-20-2013), suaveflooder (06-21-2013)