Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
I6s are long, so they need more space compared to V6s. But as long as being mounted far back and the rest of the engineering is good. No problem with weight balance.. Due to length, not usable for FWD cars..
As far as I know, the main reason manufacturers have gone away from it are because of space (packaging under the hood as mentioned).If you want the most practical car for its length, shorter engines are better.

The straight six SOUND and the smoothness of a great balanced engine are the main selling points for I6s. BMWs are known for their straight six engines, and have managed to hold on to them. Something which makes them even more unique in this day and age.
Maybe they will even have an production advantage in the near future? I3 are basically an I6 cut in half.. :p
with the focus of the auto industry shifting i cant see them going back to them. that is okay with me because it retains the allure/nostalgia feel of the old supras and skylines. the i3 thing is technically half an i6 but it doesnt have that whole balance thing about it but that is what makes those old triples so cool.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote