View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
Nigelr32

Drives: '14 GT86 project, '13 GT86 DD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission selector shaft removal

I was planning on stripping my transmission down, when I looked up the removal procedure in the downloaded manuals I have, I found nothing.
Luckily there is a guide here on FT86, but it stops at the point where the tranny is removed because it is a clutch replacement DIY guide.

There is a downloadable manual to strip, inspect and reassemble the tranny, but the manual starts with a stripped of ancillaries tranny.

The removal of the clutch release mechanism is straightforward, 3 clips and it's done. The large ali casting that the stick bolts to is just a couple of swivel pins and that's off.

Then you're faced with this....

It's the selector shaft knuckle joint and must come off if you want to strip your tranny. It's simple, you just lever the tin ring forward with a small screwdriver, one side at a time gently and it pops off, exposing the ball socket and pin. I used a small allen key to lever the pin up enough so I could grab it with a pair of pliers. Once out, the knuckle separates and you're done.

I guess this will also help if you're replacing your tranny as the new one probably wont come with the swivel joint?