Old 12-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

What other basic type of stuff do I need to buy that a beginner wouldn't even think of?

I obviously need a good jack, stands or something to keep the car off the ground, a good torque wrench for the wheels,etc. I've seen special wrenches for oil filters, but is that really necessary?

What type of containers do people use to drain the oil into, where do I get them, and what do I do with the used oil?

What else would be handy and what other basic maintenance would a beginner be able to do without too much hassle? I know I have the ability to do this type of stuff, I just don't have any clue about how or where to begin and I am looking for help.
You don't need the oil filter wrench, good grip/gloves/belt works.
Oil container you can get at the auto parts store, the same place where you dump the oil.
Torque wrench/jack stands/jack. I wouldn't trust gravel as there is too much chance of slippage or not being level.
If you are working under the car, you must use jack stands for safety.
Torque wrench, put it back to 0 after you are done using it.
Jack, you need it to have it around 5 inches height to fit it under the car.
Look in the manual for the jacking points.

Look for videos on youtube or diy guides on here. Start with oil changes and tire rotation and then eventually move up to trans/diff fluids, brake pad swap, brake fluid bleed.

Other things- gloves, eye protection, jack pad/jack stand pad to protect paint, take pics before you take stuff apart, magnetic tray to hold screws etc, untorque/torque wheels on the ground, but remove them off the ground. Take your time and make sure the tool is on the fastener so you don't strip stuff. And take your time threading the fasteners so you don't cross thread. Good luck, have fun.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-09-2016), jcw99 (12-09-2016), justatroll (12-09-2016), new2subaru (12-10-2016), Tcoat (12-09-2016), why? (12-09-2016)