Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown View Post

I agree. If you take it to the dealer they are only allowed to use OEM replacement parts which to your point are ridiculously expensive. I learned early on to buy the parts myself and have my own mechanic put them on. Example brakes: Mercedes wanted $1600.00 to replace pads and rotors. I was able to do it for 1/2 the cost. They are so good at making money(ripping people off) that you need to replace the sensor which costs $80.00. Not needed as far as I am concerned as you can tell when the brakes need replacing.

This is the only "problem" with my Lexus. My local Advance Auto Parts guy says auto manufacturers are only required to produce an inventory for about 7 years. I bought my car used with 27,500 miles. The previous owner must've hit a curb on ice.. it needed a new drivers front wheel bearing and the CV joint/shaft. I suppose unless people are demolishing their cars, there's no need to produce hardware that's not needed.

The dealer paid for the wheel bearing (parts/labor $928) but the CV shafts are so hard to come by, they just did a CV boot repair kit, filled it with grease, and it's been great ever since (which does worry me because metal doesn't grow back, but if it's greased well, maybe lack of grease was the only problem). A quick google search results my CV shaft ranging anywhere from $60 (seems too low) to $900 (seems way too high).

The car is STILL pretty bulletproof. The underbody is in great shape for being a 2009.
Attached Images

ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote