View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #105
bedabi

Drives: '13 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was taking a close look at the Fiesta ST and was cross-shopping it with the BRZ I bought a couple of weeks ago. The Focus ST is heavier and with less power than my lightly modded 2004 WRX and I wanted something lighter and presumably more nimble, so the Fiesta ST really got my attention. With 4 doors and a hatch rear, it made a lot of practical sense. Plus, being in Buffalo I did have some concerns about having a RWD car for the winters here.

But the one thing I worried about is the fact that the Fiesta ST does not have an independent rear suspension - like the Veloster Turbo. My one joy on my commute is the occasional empty onramp. And many here have either expansion joints or medium sized bumps. I feared the Fiesta ST's rear would bounce around unpredictably on these bumps, marring that bit of indulgence. Otherwise, it certainly looks like a car with good mpg, practical rear seats and interior space, and a hoot to drive.

As an aside, it cracks me up when people say a "track" test like this is only fair when using stock tires. As if anyone who actually goes to the track only uses stock tires, or if enthusiastic street driving even comes close to reaching a car's limits like on a roadcourse... The actual comments by the driver in this video tell you a lot more than a ~1 sec difference in track time and can hardly be interpreted as favoring one car as significantly superior to the other.
bedabi is offline   Reply With Quote