View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:41 AM   #4
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Our cars don't have a "range" function, i.e., miles-til-empty. Not to get preachy, but letting the tank get ultra-low to maximize your savings on fuel because you can save a few cents per gallons is really false economy. Yes, we have fuel filters in our systems, and most gas stations probably have some form of filtration built into their delivery systems too, but it's inevitable that a certain amount of crap builds up in the botton of our tanks. It may not be as big a problem now as it was decades ago, but no matter how you slice it, the last gallon of fuel in your tank is always dirtier than the previous gallons because the concentration of dirt is higher.

In all my cars, I treat 1/4 tank as "empty," especially when I'm on the road and am not sure where the next reputable gas station is.

You can save an extra 50 cents on a fillup by running the tank very low, or you can take an extra measure to protect your fuel system by filling up before the dirt-to-gas ratio gets uncomfortable in your tank. Your call.

I'm not saying I'm right.. that's just my thoughts.

Enjoy your car!

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (03-19-2017), humfrz (03-19-2017), spike021 (03-19-2017)