Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #786
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzbang View Post
My car has to go in for the valve spring recall. So that means engine out. Do you think while it's out I ought to pay Toyota to do some preparations for the SC? I was going to get them to replace the spark plugs anyway.. but now I'm wondering if I should get the clutch done, seems some people upgrade the clutch, snout and bearing when they go FI ?

My car has done about 63,000kms / 40,000miles.. clutch feels fine. Is the stock clutch setup not up to the task?
I’ve had my car booked in with Harrop in Melbourne for the install since Feb, but then got the recall notice and had the springs done in March. Due to unforeseen circumstances, and wanting to do at least 3k kms to make sure the recall was ok, I was going to finally have the install done this week when the thrust bearing, which was fine pre recall, deteriorated and now needs replacing before it actually collapses.

Since I have to have the box out anyway I’ve decided to upgrade the clutch, thrust bearing, etc at considerable and unexpected cost. $1300.

Having said that I have actually visited Harrop HQ here in Melbourne and have spoken to an installer tech who has had a SC installed on his 2012 86 since inception and was personally assured that even when running the smaller pulley, which he is, a healthy OEM clutch is more than capable of handling the extra power output. The linear power delivery of the Harrop is a lot easier on the drive train than other FI.

In summarising; if I was you and if your clutch is fine now, just replace your thrust bearing, and probably spigot bearing, while your dealer has the box out as a precautionary measure.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote