View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I've always been a big 'Vette fan and love driving anything C5 or C6, though it's one of those cars on my short list I've yet to own [along with an S2000].

The thought of a tidier Corvette instantly piques my interest, however hearing of turbocharging is a turn-off in that car. There are cars where turbos suit their character [Evo's, WRX's, obviously anything Diesel, Porsche 911], but the Corvette having been naturally aspirated for the past 57 years seems too sharp a break from tradition. I do love the idea of a smaller, higher revving V-8, but for goodness sake, don't screw it up with turbos. If they need to make it boosted, use an Eaton TVS like they do on the ZR1, just tone it down a bit so it's useful.

Here's a range I'd love to see:
Base Corvette: 3.2L V-8 naturally aspirated = 300 HP
Grand Sport Corvette: 3.2L V-8 w/small Eaton TVS = 380 HP
Corvette Z06: 6.2L V-8 naturally aspirated [tweaked LS3] = 450 HP

I don't picture the ZR1 coming back, as it's a thirsty sucker, and having over double the base car power seems ridiculous. Yes, 300 HP in a base Corvette puts it under a 370Z, but since the new Vette is likely to be smaller [and lighter, say under 3,000 pounds] the power to weight would be >10:1, not bad for "base model". Of course the Corvette will have to handle better like it does and offer a real interior vs. the Z to justify an added 10K+ price.

There's the perennial rumors that the next gen will be mid-engine. IMO this would make the car more special, but would also strip away it's traditional character. This would be a dangerously bold move for GM, and the total package would have to be amazing while not resulting in a higher price.

So.... putting a Turbo on a V-8 is a turn off and a screw up because it's a departure from tradition. But making it Midrear is "special"?

Are we talking Kentucky Cousins Special? or Cool?

I think it would be cool. But it's a much MUCH bigger departure from tradition than simply putting on Turbo.

That that I would ever buy one. I like Corvettes but I dunno. There's something about them that has lost their luster over the years. I think they have become a bit over-saturated.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote