Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #57
jmimac351
Chin Chief Instructor

Drives: 2015 Ford F150 Aluminium Couch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I am trying to find another hood to vent for track days. I haven't had the coil pack issue yet but I would like to prevent it. Especially with the nameless header, I have got everything wrapped in heat tape, even wiring.
My local "miata parts salvage guy" has started parting 86 cars as well (among others). I've been checking on a spare hood for the same thing. I like heat wrap. The interweb doesn't and claims that heat wrap hurts metal.

A regular at our events with a BRZ had an aftermarket rear exhaust that routed close to the rear diff. He experienced multiple rear diff seal failures. My car is 100% stock in that respect and I've experienced zero failures. "Why are my rear diff seals failing? ... Yeah, soooo.... maybe it's because that super cool aftermarket exhaust is now routing right next to the diff - but you didn't wrap that section of exhaust so that pipe will last for 20 years, good thinkin'..."

I've seen unwrapped 86 headers fail. Wrap the pipe in sensitive areas is my plan... in 5 years buy another piece of metal, maybe.

HEAT is the enemy of EVERY track car... Go ask a late model Z06 owner about heat...
Cobra Replica Build Pics
Chin Chief Instructor www.ChinTrackDays.com
jmimac351 is offline   Reply With Quote