I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
I'm not sure I understand this part. The AVO intercooler mounts so that it's directly under the bumper beam. There should be a lot of space between the intercooler and the radiator.

As you can see in the above photo, the radiator would have to be very thick for the FMIC to impact it. You don't have it switched around, do you?
No, not switched around. I asked you on the phone to make sure I was installing it correctly.

The problem is not the distance between the radiator and the IC, its the condenser brackets that hold the Condenser to the radiator. There is about a 9 mm space between them. I believe it could be made to work modifying the Condenser brackets (making them shorter, shortening the distance between the Radiator and Condenser). But using the stock Condenser brackets, more than ~ 9 mm are needed to fit the radiator in.

I didn't actually try to install the FBM radiator, but I did measure. The radiator added (IIRC) 24 mm of thickness. All the thickness is added towards the front, nothing towards the engine. Even conservatively saying half of it was being pushed towards the bumper and the other half towards the engine, 12 mm still dont fit in ~ 9mm. Other kits have narrower IC's and that is how the condenser bracket bolt clears.

Also, your picture is showing the clearance on the bottom, but the problem is the condenser bracket bolt at the top, in the driver's side.

I did try to install Robispec's V.1 and it wasn't even close, like not even making new brackets.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 07-14-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote