Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #197
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Nice! A true external mic picks up the sound sooo much better.

Not to one up you or anything but I used to use a cheap lavalier mic. It always sounded muffled with the stock header/catback setup. I think it was exceeding the frequency of the microphone. So I stepped up to the Olympus ME-51S Stereo Microphone I actually just keep it tied down in the rear trunk area near the back/bumper and I have an aux extension cord running to the main cabin that I plug into my gopro. You've probably seen this clip before, but this is what it sounds like with the external Olympus mic plugged in:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwc-E6ljCK9/

Regardless, any external mic sounds better than most on-camera mics!

In other news, Bill at Delicious Tuning made some tweaks to my tune...it feels much stronger now! I'm not sure if it's placebo effect, but I will have it on the dyno again soon to confirm the power gains.
Oh for sure, I'm actually an AV systems engineer by day so I'm definitely aware of how much a quality mic can do; it's very apparent in your video, especially in the higher frequency range.

What makes this cheap mic bearable even when outside on the rear bumper is that I can adjust the microphone sensitivity on the input of my DSLR as to not sail it into clipping under WOT. In that video it was just starting to clip at the top RPM range, so next time I record I can knock down the sensitivity by one more notch and I'll be good to go.

Glad to hear your tune is consistently improving! I look forward to seeing the numbers.