View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
rickyb80

Drives: 13' FRS-10 #0652
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transforming a set of cheap wheels

Hi there. So when I bought my FRS back in Oct 13' one of the first things I did was buy a new set of wheels/tires. I did this for several reasons, 1) The OEM wheel/tire combo looked very skinny and didn't provide the stance I desired, 2) The OEM tires are summer tires and with winter around the corner I knew I'd need new tires soon, and 3) I wanted a tire that would perform well in a variety of conditions while delivering great performance and providing me with a nicer stance. That being said, I went with some Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. To this point they've been great.

However, being that I was just looking to buy a universal setup that worked for all seasons I did skimp on wheels. I actually spent quite a bit less on wheels than I did on tires. I opted to go with some XXR 531's because they do look nice and they're affordable, but the center caps they came with are HORRENDOUS!!! That being said, I decided to rock my wheels without any center caps, until lately. Today my dad and I took a long stroll through the junk yard and noticed all the wheels without center caps lying around. After awhile I started finding random center caps in the mud and all over the place. Then I came across an old late 90's/early 2000's Volvo that had center caps. I pulled out my caliper, took measurements, verified correct size, and proceeded to pop them out and put em' in my pocket. After a few modifications they fit perfectly and I think they actually look pretty damn good. Buying new center caps for wheels can get out of hand, so I'm pretty stoked I was able to make this find and have them work out the way they did.

What do you guys think?

With NO Center Caps
Name:  IMG_20140119_141620_350.jpg
Views: 3563
Size:  115.9 KB
With the VOLVO Center Caps
Name:  IMG_20140119_141730_701.jpg
Views: 3582
Size:  132.8 KB
With a strip of Tape on the VOLVO Center Caps
Name:  IMG_20140119_141913_861.jpg
Views: 3528
Size:  138.3 KB

Total cost: $0.00
2013 SC10N FRS - Takeda CAI, J2 FP, EVO3 CB, Front lip, side skirts, spats, Hotchkis FST brace, Grimmspeed MC brace/hood struts, Smoked Valenti Tail/Reverse lights, 30% tint, Perrin Antenna/drift knob/pulley, short shifter, AP knob, 86 armrest/doorsills/grips, and much more.......
rickyb80 is offline   Reply With Quote