Old 09-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #88
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I've never had an Auto last longer than 150k miles. At that point when the vehicle needs a new transmission it is basically totaled because a new slushbox will cost more than the car is worth and a rebuild is a hope and a prayer.

I have zero confidence that this 6 speed auto will last more than 100k. New model, new tranny with extra gears, for rwd with a torsen axle. Just don't have confidence in it. In ten years this new tranny will be impossible to find, finding someone who one could trust to rebuild a low production 6 speed auto will be a huge challenge.

The FRS manual is the best I have driven, better than the classic BMW/borg warner manuals. Its the sh*t.

My humble opinion is that the only time an auto is a good choice for aperformance car is for a turbo drag setup. Like a Buick Grand National, those were bullet proof autos that actually helped performance.

The reason this car has an Auto option because the 6 gears allows institutionalized atrificial higher than real life EPA ratings. Also a few folks in their 20's don't know how to drive a manual. But I think that people that age are catching on to learn how to work a clutch.

IS250 isn't as new as a BRZ. And in the IS250 the tranny handles more torque output(184lb ft). I had a 97 RL with 190k miles and my auto was smooth as butter. My RSX automatic has 115k miles on it now and is still smooth even though I abuse it in manual shift mode.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote