View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #65
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.
The car crumpling the way it did is the way it was designed and most new cars are designed the same way. The car will absorb energy from the accident/impact and deform to a certain point where it becomes more rigid. This is a very positive thing. The more the car deforms, the more energy is absorbed by the framework of the vehicle and the less energy from the collision is absorb by the occupants. It's not uncommon to see the front end of cars severely mangled, but yet the doors open/close almost normally. The crumple zones and the way the hood is designed to "teepee" looks like they did their job.

I'm glad that no one was injured and I couldn't even imagine how you feel. I know I would be so mad at myself. I sure you learned a lesson, albeit the hard way. Hopefully others will learn a lesson too by your misfortune and respect the car. The laws of physics can take over quicker than many of us can react to regain control. If the "nannies" were still on, this would've never happened. Those systems are the to protect ourselves from....well...ourselves.

In the end, a car can be replaced. A life or limb, cannot.

If your insurance company totals it, see if you can talk them into giving your engine to an aftermarket company to see how much boost the stock internals can handle before going kaboom.

Ruskymx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruskymx For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-15-2012), nataku (06-18-2012), neutral (06-16-2012), sastexan (06-18-2012)