Old 12-22-2023, 09:19 AM   #20
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demasrv View Post
I had your opinion here until a buddy pushed me to just go for it. How long did you drive it after it was blown? I shut my car down within a minute, and the heads were super clean. There aren't THAT many crevices metal bits can hide, and you really don't have to take apart as much as you think. Chances are the heads are just fine, and the new-ish subaru head gaskets Subaru uses now with multiple layers of metal mean head gasket failures aren't really a thing. The most annoying part is scraping off the RTV. The youtube content around a short block replacement has come a long way too since when I did mine ~3 years ago. You'll be freaking out about stuff because it's your first time, but you can do anything with the forum guidance/youtube. Just get a torque wrench and follow the manual.

You'll probably want to buy:
- full engine gasket kit. You won't need all of the gaskets in the kit. (map performance has a good priced one)
- Engine timing kit, this includes chains, tensioners and guides (ebay)
- crankshaft bolt (from subaru dealership)
- head bolts (from subaru dealership
- Right stuff grey gasket maker. Black works okay too, but it's not officially rated for "asian" vehicles.
- Good time to replace the clutch and maybe flywheel, throw out bearing too. If you do this, get some grease (brake grease is fine here)
- Good time to replace the spark plugs too.

Then you'll need to buy/rent an engine hoist.
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up finding a used motor with about the same mileage as my blown motor that was only about 25 miles away, was compression and run tested, and came with a six month warranty. So whatever I end up doing with the blown motor (e.g., parting it out, rebuilding with an IAG short block, etc.), I can take my time. The points about the support from this forum and YouTube to do just about anything one could wish to a BRZ/FR-S are well taken as I've definitely benefited from that in past. For now though, I will have a working vehicle and I can final give back to my wife the other garage parking space

At this point, the replacement motor has been installed and I'm waiting on parts for the exhaust before I can begin the process of firing up the new motor.

Last edited by vfrqqq; 01-14-2024 at 08:32 AM.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote