View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 AM   #12
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoxracer183 View Post
Take the whole spindle off and take it to a press rather than messing around. My local Advanced Auto has a machine shop in back and the guy charges me $20 to do it. Hate rusty WI cars and I just don't mess around with it even any more.

This was the plan. I finally got the spindles off and took them to the machine shop today. Unfortunately, he said they couldn't push them out with their press. I don't fully understand why he was unwilling to do it, maybe it just isn't worth their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Oh I had the same problem with mine. I ended up removing the whole piece that holds the wheel hub (so disconnecting it from the lower control arm, upper arm and toe-arm), and then hammering it out. I did it with a 5lbs hammer agaisnt another hammer against the wheel hub. It took several full strenght swings (both arms, someone else was holding the other hammer and the wheelhub in place) before I even it saw it move. If yours is as stuck as mine, you wont get it out of there without taking it off the car first (short of cutting it off).

Now that the spindles are off the car I will probably try some variation of this. First I'll try to drop them off at a local auto repair shop. If they won't take them then I'll start my Saturday morning off by smacking them with the hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Looking forward to watching your build! Any luck with the wheel bearings?
Thanks, hopefully I'll have some progress to share this weekend. No luck with the wheel bearings yet, they're really impeding the project. The front wheel bearings did come out with the slide hammer and the new bearings are installed.

Lastly, for anyone trying to remove the rear upper ball joint, use OTC puller 7314A. Any standard size Pitman Arm puller will probably work as well.