2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtakuban View Post
Based on your reviews it looks like the Ca-Fi 621000 is the clear winner by far. The work-around for the offline GPS is not too bad and anybody considering a CarPC (which is what an android HU is) should be ready to have to troubleshoot little odd things that don't seem to work exactly how they expect. The fact that the hardware is better in the Ca-Fi is the key here as software can always be updated. But you're stuck with the hardware.

You've used both personally, so your opinion should carry more weight than my purely academic viewpoint. But Reading your review/comparison sways me far more toward the Ca-Fi. I'm curious about the pricing on that one as that could be a big factor as well.
The Ca-Fi unit is currently priced an $999. I have a CarPC in my other car (Core i3, 8GB RAM, 7" screen). If you want to get technical, any head unit is a CarPC. Most of the Pioneers, Kenwoods, etc have a SoC and Windows CE as an OS.

Installing the GPS was actually pretty easy. You will need a rooted device to initially install it to, then copy the APK from /system/app/ to a microSD card. Insert the microSD into the head unit, and install. On some apps, you may need to use APKTool to "Decompile" and modify the manifest XML to eliminate any screen density requirements. I haven't had to do so yet.

Like I stated in my review above, I'm flat out considering removing the CarPC from my other car and installing this. It's cheaper, more stable, cleaner, sounds better, and is actually geared more towards use in a car.

Feel free to ask any questions or screen grabs.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (01-08-2013)