Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Factory is usually more fine tuned than aftermarket (having more size variations to get the clearances spot on). On many other cars they're the go-to for the best available, and usually only not used because of cost or availability.

Keep in mind we're talking about hydrostatic bearings here, there's no real "wear" or contact taking place here. Generally if they're a crap bearing, they're not consistent in size and construction, as they're really only shims in such a system. Therefore, any failure is more likely due to other issues (detonation hammering them, oil getting too hot/thin, etc)
This is exactly what I was going to say. I'd avoid aftermarket bearing unless I 100% knew that the OEM ones wouldn't stand up to it and even then I'd decide if I'd want to risk spending all that money on a re-build that might need to be re-done.

There's so much that goes into re-building an engine, especially these newer ones with very specific tolerances, that I'm never sure I'd trust someone to do it perfectly, myself included. If it's not perfect it will need re-doing in the not too distant future and big cost again.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote