View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
See, this is probably one of my biggest concerns for when I get my FR-S. My current car is very easy to see out of, being a sedan, all four windows offer a very clear view of the road, so I rarely check my mirrors to look at my blindspots, instead I prefer to turn and look, and I always see everything that way. I've never been very good at using the mirrors for anything, sad to say. I'm not sure why, but it might be the flipped orientation. I prefer seeing things from my point of view, instead of reversed in a mirror.

That being said, it looks like the FR-S is going to force me to use this tactic if I want to be a safe driver. Guess the first thing I'll do when I sit in it is change the mirror positions.
See. I used to look as well, but after living in Atlanta for so long I've come to realize you really can't afford to be turning your head too much to look back or to the side. People here slam on the brakes for no reason at all, causing way too many accidents many that would include myself if I spent time trying to look behind me or around me without using the mirrors. And when the flow of traffic is 70-80, space even when available wouldn't help.

Before purchasing the FR-S I was driving a loaner honda accord sedan, and even then I had the mirrors adjusted appropriately. Compared to using them the way I originally used side mirrors the difference was night and day, I think that sedan also had a slightly wider view with the rear view mirror so that I could see out the rear side windows.

In comparison the view for the FR-S is very close to that of the sedan, when mirrors are adjusted appropriately. If you use the traditional method, however, you're practically blind.

It's very useful having the mirrors turned properly. You eventually get used to the change in point of view and it allows you to make quicker decisions than having to turn your head.