View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
PhastekSport

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to PhastekSport Send a message via Yahoo to PhastekSport
*PHASTEK* Perrin Tuned Vortech Supercharger Install Thread (3 Vehicles, 3 Kits)

I guess the ball is in our court. Here's where we will document all progress on the Vortech installs and the long term results. Expect updated for new pullies, tunes, general maintenance, etc.

2/28 - Supercharger arrives. Layout, photos, begin work after shop hours.

^V Nguyen (f1point4) laying out his kit for inventory/pictures.

3/1 - Continue work on shop car.

3/4 - My bday! I'll try to add some things as the day goes on. Lots of stuff to do in general. The community should get some good feedback of how this install goes from a "normal" person's perspective. On the average day at Phastek, I work on adding products, take some sales calls, and address any network/computer issues. All the installs are handled by techs.

The car feels great and the claimed gains were seen on the dyno (Dynojet 224x).

I do feel that anyone with a basic set of tools can get through the install. The DIY tutorial Victor is working on will layout all the tools we utilized. Having a buddy around helps out a lot. Set aside a good block of time though. Supercharger kits are not catback exhausts. They require more time!

First install observations:

As far as hiccups, there were just a few. We have 2 out of 3 installs down, so we're noting the minor issues which occurred on both installs first.

1) The first thing we noticed after using a dremel to grind down the boss on the alternator (as directed), was that the bracket needed a little off the back end shaved off. This was the only way we could get the bolt to thread. We're talking about a mm on the edge, tapered towards the center. Pictures will show this in detail.

2) We substituted out one of the hose clamps for the original throttle body clamp. Just keep you spare parts around during the install. The kit does reuse just a few parts.

3) Might need to recheck the windshield washer tank (new). There does appear to be a slight leak. Some thread tape might resolve this.

Not so much an issue as an observation. The intake pipe does touch the hood pad.

Our bumper has been taken off a few times. Just be careful. There are many DIY tutorials. I've made some modifications to get the gap down between the fender and the top of the bumper on the sides. I'll post those up later. This will help those who have damaged tabs.

This is a nice, clean install. We have known that since SEMA though :-).

Dyno right after install:

Before was with a Perrin headerback (no resonator, no cat). No other mods performance wise. The only thing that changed between that run was the tires (215s -> 245s).

Victor's Dyno Video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UtgwC-SDM4"]PhastekPerformance.com - Perrin Tuned Vortech Supercharger Kit for FR-S / BRZ (Dyno Run) - YouTube[/ame]

Driving Observations:

The car really benefits from the added power. Drives like stock until you get into it. Nothing that really upsets the balance of the vehicle. A lot of commentary / video will be added after the track event @ TX2K13.

Expect this thread to grow a lot over the week. Right now it's just something I'm dumping my thoughts into so I don't forget.

Mileage before install: 8814

Pete's Install:

3/6 - Finished Pete's Install. He came a day later than he originally planned.

3/9 - Wasn't beating on the car too hard during the 0-60...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4Pqn3n73A"]Phastek_FRS_Quick_Accel_test - YouTube[/ame]

Before / After Exhaust Sound Clips

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4lFHfX7ex8"]PhastekPerformance.com - Exhaust Sound Before/After Perrin Tuned Vortech Supercharger Install - YouTube[/ame]

3/10 - Did revisit old private road for one higher speed run. Previously only taken up to redline in 5th which was around 130-131. Ran out of pavement and knew that it would take a lot more to exceed that speed in 6th. Same stretch with the kit, I claim 139, but the passenger says 140.

3/18 - First run results with a smaller pulley. Perrin map as well (specifically for the pulley).

3/22 Forgot to post new alternator tilt brackets..

The silver portion shows the area that is different.

These were sent overnight from Vortech.

Last edited by PhastekSport; 03-22-2013 at 09:16 AM.
PhastekSport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PhastekSport For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-03-2013), Brian@Vortech (02-28-2013), flippy (03-04-2013), norsamerican (02-28-2013), Pete (03-07-2013), sandman126 (02-28-2013)