ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,057 Times in 8,329 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I'm sorry, this may be your opinion but its a cop out. You're basically saying only 1-2% if the buyers will care about drag reduction on the highway or care about reducing brake fade on a halo sports car. Or reducing lift/drag on a car capable of high speeds. We aren't talking about feature such as an oil cooler where, yes possibly only 1-2% of buyers will ever need, we're talking about features that benefit all users on a day to day usage, that I would assume cost very little R&D to implement (in the grand scheme of things).

Basically his response was marketing covering for features that the design department pushed through, and the engineers were too lazy or had no budget to cover.

Take a look at modern BMW and Audi vehicles, most of them have very clever usage of vents and ducting in the front for aero/cooling purposes. they don't just have random slats sliced in the side of the car and blanked for no reason.

Note: I acknowledge this is a bit of a rant of the state of automotive design in general and the Supra is just taking the brunt of my frustration.
It's understandable rant... here's my view and lil bit of rant. Realistically speaking, ppl in general won't be looking at drag reduction when they look to buy the cars. If salesman tell me "You see this? This will reduce air lift and air drag by 9%!" I'll look at him/her like WTF? or Cool story bro. Full honesty, I don't believe in having brake air duct day to day. Not sure where you live that require brake air duct or other air duct to keep brake or reduce air drag. Where I live, in the winter time, it snows and salt everywhere. Why do I need to rust more suspension parts to reduce the brake temperature in daily drive? Before hitting the prime temperature, I'm already at work.

Hate when stock car having brake air duct. Their brake fades so bad that they need brake duct to keep it cool for daily use? I get that some 911 or M series (& so on) built for track focus... but when non-track focus having those question their reliability.

As for BMW and Audi having fake vents... it's very common. Example, Audi TTS front vents are non-functional. I don't remember BMW M4 fender vents to be functional either. Let's not go into Nissan, Subaru and other brands

TBH, I think we're so used to see some of the race car feature parts trickle down into daily car. Which some parts are great and all... but in the end, it's just extra swag that's cool in fans eyes, but not that functional in daily life.

That's just my 2yen