View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
TemeCal: I know your post was directed at the OP but I wanted to chime in as I've been facing this conundrum on my race car. Do I run the 205 tire at 180 degrees or the 225 tire at 150 degrees?

Hankook for example, on their C51's say that it's most important to run the tire in the optimal temperature zone that it best performs. Some also say that using a tire that's too wide increases rotational drag which decreases the ROI of going wider.

Next year I'm going to buy 205 and 225 Kooks and do back to back testing at a test and tune and measure the temps and compare my data logger to see what lateral G's each of them max out at and what my top speed is at the end of the longest straight. I hope this testing puts my questions to rest.

So, getting back to the BRZ... The car is quite light and with only a 200hp engine the power isn't over taxing the rear tire at corner exit very much. Running a 245 may be so much tire that you end up facing what I face with my race car... You won't get the tires hot enough to where they reach and operate at their peak, but maybe not. I think, considering the weight, balance and power of this car that a 225 RS3 or Star Spec would be a great fit. However, I'd love to see (2) Toyobaru at the race track with 225 Star Specs and 245 Star Specs and collect back to back tire data and lateral G loads.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
TemeCal (08-29-2012)