Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I had my FRS out on a track on Sunday and I don't think it has a "tendency to oversteer" at all. In fact I came to the conclusion that it doesn't happen by accident, you have to want it to happen, to forcibly induce it. It might be better for oversteering than the BRZ but the FRS by no means is overly tail happy.

I would even enter a corner and lift the throttle on entry and I still got understeer (neutral to understeer). I attribute that to the lack of dynamic camber in the Mac struts and the front tires getting over burdened abruptly. I surmise with 1-2 degree of negative camber up front that same lift-on-entry would then result in oversteer.

Would someone who has increased their negative camber up front chime in on this please?

In my AP1 that would have lead to full opposite lock and a "pucker". I feel the FRS is less tail happy, even on corner exit than the AP1. I attribute this not to one thing but a combination. Spring/shock setup, alignment, sway bars and power differences, along with the FRS/BRZ's complete lack of camber up front even under compression.

I agree in the video that the brakes on the 86 are very good (but the OEM pads do fade pretty quick). Also, that video is very good and I'd be interested to see what 86 can do vs the S2000 if the 86 had another 30-40bhp and -1 degree of camber up front.
Our alignment in this video is:

Front
-1.1 camber
0 toe

Rear
-1.4 camber
0 toe

Surprisingly, we experienced MORE understeer turning into turn 2 (the sharp right hander), but overall the car was more stable than with the stock alignment; you don't see the large corrections when upsetting the car by hitting curbs from our hot lap two weekends ago. Under steady state cornering, the car still refuses to rotate; lifting mid turn did nothing, as did stabbing the throttle. However, large weight transfers could get the rear to come out during the higher speed (90+) turns. You can do things with this car that you would NEVER be able to get away with in a S2k.

Our stock alignment was:

Front
0 camber
1/16" toe-in

Rear
-1.25 camber
3/64" toe-in

We're going to add some toe-out to the front this week
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote