View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
Shizuka

Drives: 2018 BRZ PP (Modified)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright so I can probably answer to some of your questions since I am in the "low boi" crowd...

My car is lowered ~2 inches (I can scrape my front lip on speed bumps) on HKS Hipermax IV GT Coilovers ($1500) and it rides very well overall. It's actually less harsh/bouncy than when it was on the stock Performance Pack Sachs suspension for the most part. I'm also on 18x9.5 Rays wheels with 245/35/18 tires. The ride is more supple overall EXCEPT when I hit a large pothole or bump in the road-- then you really feel how little travel the suspension has. But I'm talking a big bump here, like a spill-your-drink kind of bump. So to reiterate here, the ride is really good about 95% of the time and easily daily-driveable.

I will say though, the HKS Coils rode alright when I got them straight out of the box and put them on (about a 1.1"-1.2" drop)-- fairly comparable to stock. However, when I got my car lowered even further to ~2" & got an alignment with -3 deg of camber, etc. the car was wayyyyyy too stiff afterward. Like it was unbearably stiff and I thought I might have majorly screwed up in my suspension selection. The car was basically like a skateboard on that setup.

To fix the ride quality, I had to dial back the dampening setting nearly all the way. The HKS coils have 30 clicks of adjustability for dampening, and I'm now 1 click from full soft all around. The way the car sits now, it's perfect honestly. It's low to my liking and handles like a dream-- all while not being bad to daily at all. It doesn't even bother my 60 year old dad and he drives a stock Porsche...

Summary (lol) - It's possible to be low and comfortable. Get fully adjustable coilovers and figure out the config that will work best for you. If you're a daily driver / some canyon use kind of person I recommend my HKS Hipermax IV GT coilovers because I know they're comfortable firsthand (rides as well as stock did and I'm picky). I also rode in an FRS with Fortune Auto 500s and it was pretty smooth too. KW V3s are good, but I think a little overkill unless you're going to the track a lot, and at that point, I prefer some other options.
Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shizuka For This Useful Post:
tzbang (08-15-2019)