Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #176
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
legally, you can only do something like a California carb legal swap. There's no real other way. Unless the car is registered in a state without testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Like he said, in places with the same or similar laws as Califor, you can swap a replacement engine, or any newer engine from any make or model as long as all emissions equipment is unmodified and present. The two hardest things are not modifying the headers or cats in any way to fit, and to not modify the ECU/wiring completely and having a working car.

I'm fully aware of Cali law, which in many ways might be an advantage of sorts, you can take your functioning swap to a referee, prove it's as it should be and go on your way, no OBD2 nonsense required. Unless I misunderstand the process. (I'm not suggesting that's overtly easy, but it's doable and has been done).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I'm not sure that there headers would need to be unmodified, but the cats will have to be intact. Might have to use a CARB certified header and try to modify that just enough to make it work? I think so long as you don't mess with the cat or the visible part of the tube above the cat you should be ok there. ECU, I dunno. You could argue that it's an integral part of the emissions system but really (for example) if you flashed a new tune on your stock ECU it's not really the same anymore so I don't see a reason you can't use an after market ECU so long as your tune is clean. I find it hard to believe anyone will look at the ECU itself to check if it's OEM if you pass the sniff test.

Obviously it's going to be at least some more work/aggravation getting the car approved. You could always just fly casual and don't tell the inspector that it's the wrong motor.

Or buy a different car/mod the FA20. Obviously not ideal but if you don't think you can get it approved, don't start the project because you'll lose a fortune when you try to sell it

My issue here is that the in MOST states that do inspect it's a simple OBD2 scan test on anything from 96 up. If you can get the the OBD2 to function properly you're in business, regardless of exact configuration (unlike cali). You pull in, plug in and go, if the VIN pull on the ECU matches and the monitors are good you're good.

Is anyone working on getting the OBD2 "working" enough to pass that test?
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote