Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #174
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Like he said, in places with the same or similar laws as Califor, you can swap a replacement engine, or any newer engine from any make or model as long as all emissions equipment is unmodified and present. The two hardest things are not modifying the headers or cats in any way to fit, and to not modify the ECU/wiring completely and having a working car.
I'm not sure that there headers would need to be unmodified, but the cats will have to be intact. Might have to use a CARB certified header and try to modify that just enough to make it work? I think so long as you don't mess with the cat or the visible part of the tube above the cat you should be ok there. ECU, I dunno. You could argue that it's an integral part of the emissions system but really (for example) if you flashed a new tune on your stock ECU it's not really the same anymore so I don't see a reason you can't use an after market ECU so long as your tune is clean. I find it hard to believe anyone will look at the ECU itself to check if it's OEM if you pass the sniff test.

Obviously it's going to be at least some more work/aggravation getting the car approved. You could always just fly casual and don't tell the inspector that it's the wrong motor.

Or buy a different car/mod the FA20. Obviously not ideal but if you don't think you can get it approved, don't start the project because you'll lose a fortune when you try to sell it
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote