Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #47
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
i've owned a 2001 S2000 for about 5 years now, for about 4 of those years it was pretty much a DD most of the year, bought an FRS just over a year ago and now am driving the 86 99% of the time.

background
S2000 is stock save for a cold air and a test pipe, wheels and tires
FRS is bone stock

that being said...

as far as the throttle goes, i cannot stand the 86's. that is one of, if not my biggest complaint with the car, there is a HUGE delay in the throttle. so much so that i have to make sure i make it a point to put my foot back down what seems like very very early to get the same type of shift that just comes natural in the honda.

engine power, to me, the 86 seems like it pulls a lot harder in the low range than the honda, but once you hit the almighty vtec, the honda feels much much better where the 86 falls flat. personally, i'm usually shifting at 4K as it just feels better lol

steering yes, the 86 wins in my book there, though i like how much resistance there is on the honda, the 86 has a better feel to it

trans/etc: the clutch on the 86 is way to soft for me, its hard to feel the engagement point. as for the shifting itself, the honda wins there also, if you haven't drive one. you wont find a better trans in a car under 60K

though i'm a fan of the 86's interior, why did they even give it an analog speedo? the honda is just more driver oriented IMO. I will say i like the seats better in the FRS

i'm not sure what else to say, I cant remember all the other things i wanted to add, feel free to ask any questions.

one last thing, love the videos man, have watched a few
Pretty much dead on. I drove an AP1 quite a few times. 9000 rpms screams! But I absolutely don't like rag tops. That's my only gripe. Gearbox is one of the best though.

I've always touted in saying that the FRS is like a 4 seater s2000 with less power but with a real roof.

You're right, I F*cking HATE the FRS drive-by-wire. I feel like I still can't drive the damn car smooth enough to my liking. Drive-by-cable = the best!