View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #259
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@ZDan .... I agree with you that this is mostly marketing, but the marketing has become convention--common nomenclature. Look up any article or wiki page, and they will make this clarification too. Why do they clarify front-mid when most FR layouts will be front-mid anyways like you mention, especially for sports cars? This is probably because of the numbers of cars that are not traditional FR sports cars. There are so many cars that are in a FF transverse layout that are considered sports cars from hot hatches to sports sedans, or that have their motor far forward in a FR or F-AWD because the car is offered as an AWD or an AWD option like the WRX or Audi's. The WRX prefers to put their transmission inline with the front axles to have symmetrical AWD (and they have a compact engine so they can), and often these cars will use a linkage or something to allow the engine to sit further back like the AWD system on a GTR or BMW, but still, the convention has become to clarify this front-mid layout because of the prevalence of the alternative layouts.

On another note, I agree with others that the rear-mid layout is the better layout by far, but can be much more of a bitch to service, yet I would say it is worth the effort. I also agree that any slush box automatic or EV will be the faster car around town. Even with my supercharged E85 BRZ, I often am ditched off the line by fat sedans or pug crossovers, but then again, I am always slow off the line because I drive fast in the turns or when it matters; I don't drag race from every red light. I notice some do, and the EV is a good choice. We will likely get a Model Y when it comes out, so we too can beat the other soccer moms to make that right turn into Starbucks.