View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #22
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
No, but that's why there's a tiny turn in it to get around the edge of the head unit. You have to make absolutely sure that the metal sits flush against the side of the head unit before the bezel goes back on, or it won't fit. It's tight.

If you're planning to try this yourself, here are a few more notes:

As long as you're at Harbor Freight, pick up a set of plastic trim tools. They will keep you from marring your dash, and you can slip the corner of one of them under the bezel on the driver's side to get the trim to come up.

The aluminum sheet came from Home Depot. I think it was 18 ga, but it may have been 22 ga. To be honest I can't remember and don't know the gauges by sight. HD also had a three-pack of right, left and center tin snips for $11 that worked fine to cut it.

I cut a long strip first in the width (height) I wanted, bent the end 90 degrees and drilled a hole so that I could mount it in place to mark the tiny bend with a Sharpie. Getting that tiny bend right was the most critical and most difficult part of the project.

Once I had the bend, I test fit it again and used a level to mark a vertical line on the metal as a reference point for the front bend (because the slope of the dash makes it difficult to estimate). Once I had the vertical line for reference, I made another line at a backward angle, because you want your last bend to make the mount tilt back a little bit so that the phone is facing your head and not your chest. Once I had that last bend, I cut it to the right size for the cradle and dressed the edges with a grinding stone on a Dremel.

You will notice that the bracket has a big hole in it. That's because, once it's bent in the way, you can't reach the bolt! Imagine my irritation when I realized I couldn't actually mount it. I cut that hole so I could fit a socket on an extension through there.

As you can see from the pic of the bracket, paint does not want to stick to aluminum. I used self-etching primer and flat black Rustoleum. At some point I might pull it off there and try again.

I used "industrial-strength" velcro to attach the iOttie cradle. I would prefer to mount it a little more securely, but I had to be able to remove the cradle to get to my socket hole if I ever want to remove it. If you come up with a good alternative, please post!

Here are links to the less-common tools I used:

Harbor Freight seamer

HF trim tools

Tin snips (were $11 when I bought them)

iOttie One Touch - the cradle I used. The unused suction mount is sitting on my desk, waiting for me to repurpose it for something else.

By the time it was all over, I had more money in the project than I would have spent on a commercial mount. But no commercial mounts put the phone where I wanted it, so it was 100% worth it. Plus I now have a few more tools in my tool box that I needed anyway.
Thanks for all the useful data points. Actually, I have this mount http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_142MAGD...6730505&awdv=c and I'm creating a bracket to mount it on so that I can get the angle I want. I like this mount because it small, inconspicuous, and holds my phone very securely. I can't get the angle I want using it, so I'm fabricating a very small bracket that extends from the bottom of the passenger side dash panel very near the radio bezel. I think it will work.

I'm using the HF tool you referenced for another project.

Yes, I do have the trim removal tools.
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote