View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 PM   #170
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie L View Post
For a truly quiet Cosworth SC setup..Cat back only ..stock header...
Having said that I'm not giving up my header.
I am currently running my Cosworth Header , 2.5 " nameless exhaust with the (gag) stock muffler..sounds like ass..and I know its costing me power..I think this is what you are asking...You might like the sound though ..who knows?

I am trying to buy a Q300 muffler to see if that is any better than the nameless ( overly loud) or stock muffler(ruptured fart can) as a daily driver set up.

I tried the full 2.5 inch nameless exhaust ,with Cosworth header and SC....absolutely wonderful race car sound...but overly loud for a daily driver..unless of course you are a complete attention whore ,(and there is nothing wrong with that) ,then go for it.

JerryIII has the complete cosworth /by nameless 3 inch exhaust and header...he mentioned he had a little trouble making the noise requirement for the type of racing he does...but was able to on his second try...I think he coasted by the officials ha ha ha

Bottom line ..SC with a cosworth/nameless cat back is glorious...add the header...or to put it a different way...delete the front cat and you have (IMHO) a track car exhaust system.
Hey Ernie, how's the long term testing of the kit going? Everything still solid, still have that ear to ear grin?

The header seems to be the tipping point in all the exhaust systems for the twins. Even with a good catted header they all seem to go up in pitch/rasp but I guess that's the trade-off for the performance.

For the people running at tracks with db limits, it tends to be the higher pitched cars that trip instead of ones with loud but deep bassy rumbles. Selecting a deeper toned cat-back could definitely help if that's a concern. (Or you could get turn-downs and face them away from the track marshals. )

On another noise question, does Cosworth's tune turn off the startup high idle or will they do that for you? That could definitely be an issue for people that have to warm up in a quiet neighborhood early in the morning or late at night.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote