Old 12-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #75
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Much of this conversation of what would make a good "daily driver" depends on some very specific conditions. Any car can be a good daily driver if you live someplace with reasonably consistent good weather and if your daily drive is not overly long or hard on a car.
The Cayman was actually on my short list (I have a family connection that meant I could get one "cheap") but was ruled out rather quickly when looked at realistically. At the time I drove almost 50,000 miles a year on very busy highways, all year round. To buy a Cayman (Lotus is not an option here) or any other high end car would mean I would lose a very large sum of money in a very short time. Sure I could store it in the winter and drive a beater but in my mind that defeats the whole purpose of owning a nice driving car. It came down to knowing that through the amount and type of daily driving I did I would destroy a $30K car instead of a $100K one and that was a no brainer to me.
So when people speak of "daily driving" the whole picture needs to be considered not just what cars are great to drive.
A lot of that makes sense but I don't know if I agree that any car can be a good daily. I mean, I guess some people could want a certain car despite its flaws but I'm a relatively young person who lives in Southern California about a mile from some real decent canyon roads. From a financial perspective I am definitely on board though.
Tcoat (12-11-2018)