View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #91
QuickieSilver143

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
@HRTROB is our savior! It freaking worked. It’s a 100% fix. It’s like a whole new car now. Man I can’t thank Rob enough for discovering that this Hyundai coupler is nearly a perfect fit. Just like Rob I cut the nipples on one side but when I did a test fit it was too tight. So I cut the nipples off the other side and although the motor didn’t fit by hand it pulled up with out much effort on the bolts.

This project is actually damn easy once you figure out how to detach all the interior pieces. Again I will write this junk up in more detail when I get to a computer. The hardest part is getting the back bolt out (the one near the brake switch). Getting that bolt back in was even harder. You have to hold the unit by the motor to get enough leverage to rotate the whole unit until the bolt runs through and lines up with the flange nut. All total there were 5 small screws. 5 bolts and 2 nuts. Nothing on the wheel is disconnected. No need to worry about the alignment of the wheel because you never take it off.

So happy right now!

Some pictures of the original coupler here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/f7YXotA

You can see the original coupler is a hard plastic with a green rubber inside to reduce rattle. Once the rubber is gone the gear teeth rattle on the raw plastic. I guess there is some advantage to this design in that it never fully disintegrates. The Hyundai coupler is solid rubber so once it’s gone you aren’t left with metal to plastic but instead metal to metal.
Thank you guys so much, you have no idea how insane this makes so many of us. I will take your advice and go all in on the install and not iy another unit. I have 2 couplers coming on Amazon tomorrow. I have Sunday and Monday off and will be tearing into it then. Hope fully your write up will be in by Sunday afternoon and if not I think I should be able to handle it based on you guys other posts. I am so stoked to be able to get this fixed. Thank you so much @HRTROB AND @ermax

Saving grace of the community.
QuickieSilver143 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuickieSilver143 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-21-2019)