View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #40
Alan

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd. / E60 M5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorac View Post
I am currently using the Scroth Rally 3 in my BRZ with a Defender head and neck brace. The Scroth allows your body to rotate much like a factory 3 point does. You can check their website out for details. The Defender is no no longer sold as HANS sued them out of business. I like it because it's comfortable and I can easily connect and disconnect it with my helmet on. You can keep your factory belts in the car to use on the street.

An added benefit is how they hold you in the seat. I put them on with the seat all the way back, then slide the seat forward to make them super tight. I'm no longer using my knees to keep from moving around.

The fact that you realize you are getting faster and are thinking about the risk is a good sign. Driving well within your limits on areas of the track that pose more risk is an easy answer. It's ok to do that. After all, like someone said, we aren't racing. We are there to have fun. You have also picked a good car. A twin is something you can really work to get everything out of and not find yourself doing 150 mph.

A couple of other notes.

A stock street cars safety systems were not designed or intended to adequately protect you at 140mph. Not even at 100mph.

In 2009 the Feds increased the rollover protection standards on passenger cars. Manufacturers were given 3 years to comply with those standards. 2012 and later cars meet those new standards. While even the new standards aren't going to protect you in a 90mph end over end crash, it's still something to take into consideration when making your choices.
Unfortunately, a lot of groups and instructors have indicated they don't like seeing the Scroth Rally harnesses. I've even heard of some instructors that won't get in a car with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
Alan, guys like you are exactly why Pomroy put that document together and why we're talking about these things more at Chin Motorsports events.

I'm a Miata guy and will pickup a BRZ very soon. I've had a cage and 4 point bars in my Miatas. For the BRZ, based on what I've seen in my own research about the car unibody design (roof) and crash test videos... I'm going with a 4 point harness - no 4pt roll bar. A harness bar is a possibility. I have the same DefNder H&N restraint as Pomroy, which I will use. The Simpson option is very interesting and I may get one. I'm at a track at least once per month, do checkout rides, and am actually quite risk averse. I'm satisfied that this setup will be appropriate for what I'm doing, and the way I drive.
For both @JMimacc351 and @gatorac, are you using 4 points because a five or six point would require a fixed seat and thus disable side airbags? I am prepared to do a half cage and seats in the car. I am not so comfortable with losing airbags as I plan to continue to drive to and from the track. Defeating standard safety equipment as a part of a system does not sit well with me. The issue of using three-point belts with a fixed-back seat also concerns me.

If I can't find a workable solution, I will likely sell the car and get an E36 without side airbags. I figure that allows me to drive to and from the track AND do a half cage, seats, six points and HANS. But I will really miss my BRZ if that happens.

Note, the safety discussion has been becoming more prevalent at some group's track days. NASA Northeast devotes an entire classroom session each weekend to these issues.
2013 BRZ Limited | SWP | Verus Ventus 1 and High-Efficiency Rear Wing | Invidia N1 Ti | JR Oil Cooler | RCE T2 | RaceSeng Cas/Cam | SPL LCA & TA | Wilwood/RR Racing Stage II/Sport Performance | XP10 | Apex ARC-8 | Toyo R888R | 245/40-17 | Sparco Ergo II/Evo II | AIM MXP | SmartyCam GP HD 2.2
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote