Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrclptcnsmniak View Post
Can somebody explain brake theory to me. Does a one inch difference in brake size really make that much of a difference where its worth spending more money for the more expensive model? I can care less about the vents. Solid brakes work fine. But 16 inch opposed to 15 inch in the front. How significant is the difference?
People pay a LOT of money for 1 inch in brake rotor. However, there is a much bigger issue with this brake information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
The fronts will NOT be solid. As for brake differences this is the first time we have heard of front brake differences (and IMO it's incorrect) so most likely both versions will have the same. Fr-s will also be the same. You'd care about the vents when your brakes overheat though
Agreed. There is no way the fronts will be solid. This car is meant to do something other than get the kids to school and mom to the store. I wouldn't be surprised to see a TRD BBK option like what is offered on the tC. I'd also be pleased to see such an option. The Lexus F-Sport brakes, albeit nice and pretty, would be overkill for this car. There is absolutely no need for big heavy 6-piston calipers on a car this small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Was surprised indeed by this:
Step up from base Premium spec to Limited, and you get leather/Alcantara seats and surfaces, 17-inch wheels with summer tires (instead of 16s with all-seasons), vented 16-inch disc brakes up front, and vented 15-inchs at the rear (as opposed to solid 15-inch discs all around).

Solid all around really must be a mistake, i think he means solids in the back and vented in the front.
There is a bigger issue than solid vs. vented here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
Yes the brakes info is clearly wrong or mistyped. at the very the frontswill be vented. I'm already thinking that all 3 variants of the ft 86 will have the same brakes front and rear.
Clearly.

There is absolutely NO way that this car is coming with 16" rotors in the front and 15" rotors in the back. Let me show you what 15.5" rotors front and 15" rotors rear look like. Those are 19s in the front, btw.

The fronts are the same brakes Brembo sells to Ferrari for the front of the FXX and the rears are Ferrari Enzo fronts. The smallest wheel you can fit around them is a 19 unless you go to a custom 3 piece wheel or a very specific 1 piece CCW, made for the application.