Old 11-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #89
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
I splurged a few months after purchasing my FR-S and got the OEM Audio upgrade, which helps out the sound quality of the stock unit a lot. My main concern is that changing to the AVH-ZL5150 would be it adversely affecting the sound quality, but it doesn't seem like that would be the case.
The folks at OEM Audio seem to favor Pioneer HUs. If there is a problem they've probably seen it before.
Quote:
Since I already have the OEM Audio DSP, I'm curious how that works with the Pioneer Auto-EQ microphone. I've got some questions in to OEM Audio regarding that.
The way an auto-eq works whether at home or in a vehicle is to play a series of known test tones (usually variations of white noise) through the entire audio signal path (pre-amp, amp, speaker wires, speakers, etc.) into the listening environment (a room or a vehicle interior). A microphone (whose acoustic characteristics and anomalies are well documented) is placed in the listeners preferred location (in a vehicle, usually the driver's seat headrest). The test tones picked up by the microphone are compared to their original version and any deviation from the original (caused by equipment or acoustics) can be eliminated by the DSP. The result should be a very flat frequency response and time alignment for that one specific and unique listening environment.

I suspect that OEM Audio has measured several different examples of a particular make/model of vehicle and arrived at a "best average" correction for their DSP for that vehicle. This would be way better than the factory configuration but may not be "spot on" for your specific vehicle. This is why it's nice to have an auto-eq run on your own system and interior. Kind of like running an Open Flash Tune for your engine versus taking your car to a tuner with a dyno.

I would think that you could run the OEM Audio setup just as it is and run the Pioneer Auto-Eq process on the whole system to get the last little bit of performance out of your specific combination of equipment and environment.

I'd also like to hear what OEM Audio has to say about this.
Quote:
Going through your install information, I did have a couple of other questions. Where did you end up installing your microphone? Did you put it in the stock location? If so, how is the sound quality?
Given the cabin noise level driving down the highway I wanted to give the new microphone the best chance to sound good. The factory location is designed so that any of the four seating locations can "sort of" be picked up by the mic. Since I usually drive the 86 alone, I decided to use the clip supplied with the Pioneer microphone and attach it to the front edge of the headliner between the driver side sun visor and the rear view mirror. The mic can then be pointed directly at the drivers mouth. I'm told that there is some background noise but the audio is very intelligible. Also, I think there would need to be some modifications made to the factory location to fit the Pioneer mic. I'd prefer to leave the factory location stock should I ever replace the original radio.
Quote:
If I change units, I was planning on relocating the USB port to the center console. Would something like the below attach directly to head unit and skip the auxiliary rewiring you mentioned with the AutoHarnessHouse?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAIEAUM/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w

That's a very clever bit of kit. It appears that it has the correct connectors to plug right in to the AVH-ZL5150. You wouldn't need to use that part of the AHH harness.
Quote:
Since I don't have steering wheel controls on my 2016 FRS, I guess it is only issue I would need to keep an eye out for with the wiring solution from AutoHarnessHouse is the flipped rear speakers. Do I have that correct?
I believe so. You may have seen this already but the AVH-ZL5150 also comes with a wireless remote that might be useful in lieu of the steering wheel controls.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
Nails (11-18-2018)