View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
kludger

Drives: '13 Boxter S, '13 BRZ(gone)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
The smart-entry key has tons of disadvantages. Vehicle break-ins are on the rise with keyless access because they are chip-based. Therefore they are easier to hack and break-in to the car.

You're also more likely to forget a key inside a car with a push button start, because you'd get used to putting the key in the center console or cupholder. Therefore, when you turn the car off, nothing is in your hand when you leave the car. The only way you'd remember is if you remember to lock the car. Therefore, if you forget to lock the car, you just forgot to lock a car with your keys in it. At least with the traditional key, it's in your hand when you turn the car off.

Heated seats are useless too in this car. The interior cabin is so small that heat circulates faster and you warm up in no time. The FR-S's cloth seats heat up well too especially since they're...well...cloth.
OP asked this question in the wrong subforum, should have asked it in the BRZ side of the forum where more of us have these features on our twin and use it daily.

Why would anyone need to take the fob out of their pocket to put it on the console?

The whole idea of it is you don't need to think of the fob the entire time from when you get in the car, the door unlocks automatically when you touch the door handle while the fob is in your pocket, and you start it with a button and you lock the car when you leave by touching the handle on the outside... no one ever needs to take their fob out of their pocket to put it on the console, if you had one you would know this.

And it's much more likely to get broken into via old fashioned broken window than someone going through all the trouble of hacking the keyless system, this is a $25k car not a Ferrari that someone is going to stalk and go through the trouble of hacking the keyless system for... either way worst case that's what insurance is for.

The heated seats and mirrors work great in the PNW winter to take the cold edge off in the morning and to remove the fog from the outside mirrors. In my old car I had to wipe the fog/ice off my mirrors every morning in winter just to back out of the drive, with the heated mirrors this is something I've never had to do.

I've personally loved these features on my May 2013 model, and if my car was totalled tomorrow I would buy another BRZ or FRS with the keyless system and the heated seats and mirrors, they are just so convenient that I wouldn't want to buy another car without them.

As to whether it's worth trading your current FRS in for them, that depends on how much money you have to spare and how much those features are worth to you, if it was me I'd probably wait until there was a someone selling one really cheap or a model refresh worth upgrading for, but I don't have tons of money to spare...
kludger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kludger For This Useful Post:
kch (07-12-2015), NWFRS (07-10-2015)