View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup View Post
i'm not sure how this does what it does, but it worked like a charm. this program does come with an "at your own risk" warning, but i've used it a couple of times now and haven't had any issues.
For anyone interested (and it seems there's quite a bit of interest here), I'll explain. On most flash drives, the files are stored in a format called FAT32. FAT32 has 2 portions - the data from the files itself, and an index table saying where the files are in the other section. When you write to the drive the first time, it creates the index for the files in order, since Windows will be copying them in order. When you add more files, it just appends them to the end of the index, instead of inserting them into the proper spots alphabetically. The program mentioned just sorts out the index so they're in the right order.

It's not a problem when working on computers because newer computers use a different format for the hard drives. Flash drives are still FAT32, but nearly any computer automatically sorts it before showing the files to you. They probably don't do this automatically on most head units because of the limited processing power - it takes a relatively large amount of processing power to sort things quickly. Head units are already slow enough reading from USB that they aren't going to add processing power (and increase cost) or sort it anyway (and add load time).
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote