View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #77
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
To be fair, I was the one that started the comparison.

Essentially, since the peak torque is below 7K and peak HP is pretty much at 7K in the FA20, I don't believe adding .5L to the displacement would hurt anything *if* it cost 400rpm.

We're in the realm of the theoretical, anything is speculation at this point. I even wouldn't be surprised if the "STI" version ends up n/a 2.5L. But we'll see. No one's even cracked the ECU yet, so we don't know if there's any potential left in the FA20. There are a lot of rumors.....

Agreed-It really is too early to speculate on the STI engine. If the FA20 is a 8500rpm monster de-tuned for base BRZ/GT-86/FR-S duties, then I could see toyota/subaru going with the high-output version of the same engine to save $$$..

On the other hand, seems like there is a ton of customer demand for some sort of forced induction. Seeing as subaru has confirmed that the next gen WRX will have a turbocharged version of the FA20, it would also make sense for subaru to dump this engine in the "STI" version of the BRZ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
You don't have to compare it to the FA20, you can also compare it to the EJ207 they have in the JDM STI. I would rather have the JDM 2.0L STI engine with 8500RPM redline than the 2.5L USDM one with a 7000RPM redline. And in the same vain, I would rather have the STI version of the BRZ keep the FA20 and increase the redline to 8500 than go with a 2.5L FA25 and lower the redline. Guess it all comes down to personal preferenece but I'm glad they kept the engine 2.0L and high revving.
Yes- all comes down to personal preference...
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote