Thread: Oil Leaking??
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #265
Tech

Drives: White MT GT86 with TRD extras
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Cade01 Yes the dealership did mine, but the tech that did it originally has bought one of these cars recently and we have become friends, so he suggested that the problem was not the plate, but that housing in your picture. Turns out he was right. He actually did the last repair in his own time at my place. Part of the trick also it to put on the sealant and only finger tight the bolts. He then left the sealant to cure for about an hour so that is became more rubberised before he torqued down to bolts. I think the main problem in the factory is because they tighten up the bolts staight away and the sealant just gets squeezed out leaving only a super thin film between the surfaces.

Can't stress enough guys, but if you take your car in and they only seal the plate then chances are you will have the leak again. They MUST do that housing too.

If your car was manufactured in 2013 then you probably won't have this problem. It is only the 2012 ones. I suspect the problem was discovered before the end of 2012 and the factory reviewed the procedure and subsequenlty corrected it "in house" Don't go holding out for some sort of official service bulletin, because I doubt there will be one.

However you now know how to fix it so let your dealer know what you want done. You are the customer!!!
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tech For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-12-2013), Marrk (07-11-2013)