Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
I'd suggest a local stereo shop over bestbuy. Their work is terrible as Burger King cooking you a rack of ribs.
That's a rash generalization. All Best Buy installers aren't idiots, some are MECP Certified, represent their respective patch well, and actually know what they're doing. Once again, it is not a reflection of the brand but a reflection of the installer. Sure there are horror stories out there, but what installer can honestly say that nothing has ever gone wrong during the course of an install? Probably none. I used to be an installer at Circuit City for a few years, prior to their closing, and I also was an lead installer at Best Buy. I still keep my Master level MECP and ASE A6 certifications current. To add to that, I have a few degrees in computer science, software engineering and electrical engineering. Even though I am beyond retail and commercial level installs now, I had many of the degrees and certifications while I was an installer at Best Buy and would often run across the same generalizations as the one you made so I take exception to it. I have completed over 1000 remote starts in 4 years with Best Buy, countless in-dash radios, amplifiers, etc. I worked on high end Ferraris, Bentleys, boats, commercial vehicles, motors homes, Winnebagos, you name it and I worked on it and I had 0 damage claims. There were some installers, that I worked with, that I wouldn't let change a tail light in my vehicle, and there were some that I would trust to do anything because I was familiar with the level of work they completed. The same is true for any place of business and I can't stress enough the importance of dialog with installers.

To the OP, as with all things, I would feel the place out and ask a ton of questions prior to letting anyone touch my vehicle. This goes for a big box retailer like Best Buy and local shops. A benefit of most shops, is that they have insurance so if they FUBAR it, they pay to fix it but 99.9% of the time, your install will go off without a hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_noel View Post
Had anyone hear anything about this new Pionner AVIC-X950BH unit yet? When is the release, and how hard is it install to the FRS?
As with anything I suggest you check it out in person, i'm sure a local electronics retailer will have them on display when they come out. I would also read up on the differences between the X940 and X950, they may be minimal. If you want to learn how to do things yourself, there are some DIY's on installing aftermarket radios that you can look over now in preparation for when you get your head unit. If it looks like foreign language after a few reads and a few questions, i'll be happy to guide you along.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-21-2013)