Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #81
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Nothing a corner balance wont fix (see below from the LS3 BRZ thread).

Additionally it seems conservatively less than 50 lbs are gained from the swap (and weight closer to the center of the car) when compared to a S/C kit (I/C and piping up front, etc.) probably even less gained when compared to a turbo kit.

I say it's good hard data that can give confidence to anyone considering swapping that you won't just destroy the car handling characteristics. Of course, not all engines are LSs and this doesn't mean the car handles absolutely the same as stock, but it gives a good idea that you're not drastically changing it.
Yeah, the LS is the preferred swap for something light and compact. The 2JZ will sit three extra cylinders forward than the LS with a higher amount of mass up high and with IC piping and an IC up front like you mentioned.

Of course, more weight can be added to the rear of the car by upgrading the differential, etc. I don't think the surge tank or other rear mods this guy did added much to the rear (did he do a diff swap/upgrade?). Jacking up the front suspension to corner balance the rear will give an even footing, but it doesn't change the moment of inertia. For instance, a Cayman and a Carrera could both have a 50/50 weight distribution, but the Carrera would have more weight further from the center of mass being a rear mounted engine versus the Cayman's mid mounted engine. This is the big argument with the 2jz besides absolute weight gain.

They said they were able to cross balance the car to 50/50 without jacking up the suspension to weird heights/angles, which is good, but that doesn't mean the car is balanced 50/50 left to right or front to back just because cross balance was 50/50 (but they probably did those too the best they could, just saying), nor like I said above, does it mean weight wasn't displaced away from the center of mass or up higher than stock.