Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #26
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
The current Front/Rear ratio is 53/47 and as is ideal according to the Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada. He comments on this around 5:15. The COG isn't a problem either and any engine swapper would be raising this with nearly all engine options out there.
[/url]
He might be correct for steering feel. Certainly when you're getting on the throttle at apex coming out of a sweeper, you can feel the steering unload and steering feel degrade as weight transfers to the rear.

But for all-out performance, I would guess a 50/50 setup would be faster because of how much weight you can transfer to the drive wheels on exit. Also better braking. With low-output cars like ours though, it probably doesn't matter as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
It is ideal for do-ri-fu-to (drift). Having a slightly front weight bias means it is easier to control the rear sliding and more fun. If it were 50/50 or rear biased, the handling would tend to be more twitchy and the rear end could get out of shape too quickly. But the advantage of rear bias is more traction for acceleration and grip for braking. The 86 wasn't designed for pure performance, it was designed for fun.
Yeah I've always felt the Twins were really easy to catch the oversteer on. I think it has to do with the front-biased weight distribution. The light tail steps out progressively and will fall back in place with the proper inputs. Camber-friendly, multi-link R probably helps as well.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote