Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
20mm Spacers didn't work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
It's not that spacers caused understeer, rather stickier tires made stock understeer bias more pronounced. I'd get camberbolts for more camber in front + good alignment and call it done.

Exactly. The change in scrub radius does not affect camber or understated/oversteer (not with stock caster anyway), the wheel will feel a bit heavier, that's it. The stock understeer gets exacerbated with stickier tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I really wasn't expecting to feel very much difference and when I could immediately notice the understeer, it was a surprise. Over the years, I've tracked a number of cars, so I am very sensitive to changes in handling. And I could feel the understeer at low speeds, i.e., slightly more effort to turn corners, etc.

Ehhh. No. Understeer is a condition that occurs when the front tires reach their transverse LIMIT before the rears. If you're not losing grip or squirming at least 1 tire you simply cannot have oversteer or understeer. It's impossible to gauge a car's tendency to rotate at low speeds. If you stay with the linear portion of the friction curve of all 4 tires, the car cannot understeer, no matter how badly it's set up.

Slightly more effort to turn is due to the scrub radius, and has nothing to do with the balance of the car.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-05-2018), Jordanwolf (07-04-2018), lantsalot (07-05-2018), re-animator (07-05-2018), Ultramaroon (07-04-2018), wparsons (07-04-2018)