Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wheel Directory: A-Line 029GT 17x7.5 +35

Wheels are A-Line GT BKMFRR 17x7.5 +35 staggered
, and I don't know if they're available outside South Africa and I have no idea where they originate from.
The rear wheels have a much deeper (looking) dish than the front, but the ET and rim width is identical. I measured it 3 times before I actually believed that, because it looks so different. Very clever design with the stagger which creates (IMO) a great badass look. Seriously 4th pic down shows it best.

I wanted black rims, Lindy wanted silver ... we got silver.
And I really like them. If I change my mind, plasti-dip can work wonders.

Tyres are Federal 595 RS-R 235/40-17

Before the haters start throwing bricks about lowering my car to reduce the gap, or the stupidity of fitting 235's on 7.5 rims, or 40 profile reducing gearing by 1.8%, or what cheapie tyres the Federals are, or how much camber I must dial in or out, whatever -

Yep, I think I know all of that, and what I've done is 100% intentional.

This is AFRICA dude, and our sports cars need to have SUV capability to survive our crap roads. We lose giraffes in our potholes, which means a lowered car won't just get damaged by potholes - it'll get stuck in 'em and have to be winched out...

If you don't believe me, check out 5th pic from the top (BTW those are our stock wheels in those pics - 16x6.5 +48 with 205/55-16 Yokohama DB's) http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=11036&page=42

Also, I'm 59 years old, and 235/40 on 17x7.5 was the 80's hot Beemer recipe which I loved then, and still love now. I love the square profile of the semi-slicks on a narrow'ish rim. I don't intend to track the car, but I've pushed them a bit already and I'm thrilled with them, especially the grip which is amazing, and I'm not getting any roll-under on 2.4 bar pressure. The ride is slightly harsher which is OK, and they're quite a bit noisier but only under 100kph which I can live with. Over 120kph there's no difference in noise, and over 200kph who gives a sh*t about noise anyway...

I'm not into the modern tyre stretching fad, and it's impractical exposing the sidewall and rim edge over here - the risk of damage is just too high.

The risk is also the reason for choosing cheapie wheels and tyres - I'm not going to cry too much if I wipe out a rim or tyre because they cost me a total of R12K which (at R9.46 / $1US) is about $1270 for wheels, tyres, lugs, balancing, alignment, fitting, everything.

I'm a happy camper in his 2nd childhood, and Lindy's loving it too.
Who said getting old is for sissies
Attached Images

Last edited by DarrenDriven; 03-17-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Fish Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fish Eagle For This Useful Post:
enouf (05-22-2013), FM Wheels (05-22-2013)